Workplace Wellness Strategy
Our goal is...
To help workplaces design a comprehensive wellness program that will:
• Increase physical activity and healthful eating
• Reduce use of and exposure to tobacco products
• Support nursing mothers
• Support stress management
In the United States, working adults comprise 65% of the population aged 16 years and older. Because the majority of adults spend nearly half of their waking hours in the workplace, their work environment has significant potential to influence health.
A well-designed initiative can provide a positive influence on health behaviors and have an impact on employer financial measures like healthcare utilization, worker productivity and employee turnover.
ACTIVITIES WE ENCOURAGE INCLUDE
- FOUNDATIONAL SKILLS - Getting leadership support, forming a wellness committee, developing a brand and communication plan, securing a budget and assessing the workplace environment.
- STRATEGY OPTIONS - Workplaces may work within one or more strategies to improve the work environment for physical activity, healthy eating, tobacco reduction, breastfeeding support or stress management.
- NETWORKING MEETINGS - Workplaces meet with other sites to discover new ideas, hear lessons learned and more.
PAST PARTNERS & PROJECTS: Workplace Wellness
- Collaborated with Red Wing and Kenyon-Wanamingo School District, City of Cannon Falls, Goodhue County to implement new policies and systems to increase healthy food options, increase opportunities to be active and reduce tobacco use for their employees.
- Collaborated with Goodhue County, Star Tech Computing, Treasure Island Resort and Casino and Workforce Development to implement policy, system and environmental changes in physical activity, healthy eating, breastfeeding support and reduce tobacco use for their employees.
- Collaborated with Bic Graphic USA, City of Zumbrota, Cannon Falls School District, Kenyon-Wanamingo School District, Pine Island High School, Pro Act, Inc. and Star Tech Computing to implement policy, system and environmental changes within their workplace wellness programs.
- Collaborated with Three Rivers Community Action, SCS Elevator, Inc., Fernbrook Family Center, Bic Graphic, Star Tech Computing, Pine Island School District, Cannon Falls School District to implement a comprehensive workplace wellness program.
Interested in participating? Email David Anderson, Live Well Goodhue County Coordinator to learn more.